Today we ventured to Yokohama to take Lily to the doctor. We left early, to give us plenty of time for finding our way. My friend who was going to escort us there woke up not feeling well so we took on the route with directions and a map. We walked the 20 minutes to the train station, scanned our PASMO train cards and waited for the train. Note to Self: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BRING A STROLLER ON THE KEIKU TRAIN LINE AT 7:30AM. We should have brought the front pack. We had to let several trains go by before getting into one because people were just packed in side by side, front to back, all the way to the door. Matt was ready to cancel the appointment and try another day, but I prayed to God that the next train would have room for the 3 of us and our stroller. Answered prayer…. there was just enough space for us! So we got on at Kitakurihama, but ended up on a train that continued no further than two stops later. At that point we got off the train but were able to get onto another train that had more space and would take us all the way to Yokohama. To say there was more space, mean’t that there was room enough to stand. Matt had to fold up the stroller and I was holding Lily. Matt held onto the handle with one hand and put his arm around me with the other to keep me from loosing my balance from one stop to the next. I imagined that this would be a long 40 minute trip to Yokohama. Fortunately, after a few stops, an older gentleman offered Lily and I his seat. That made the trip much more tolerable. For the remainder of the ride I only had to keep Lily from kicking a guy standing in front of us in the crotch and keep her occupied. She is a squirmy little wormy these days. Thankfully she flirted with a Japanese woman most of the way there. We got off at Ishikawacho Station and may our way downstairs to find the right subway. We headed towards Motomachi. Once we found the correct terminal it was easy to get on the subway. We rode it for about 10 minutes and then got off. From there we walk 2 blocks, turn right, walk over an over pass, through a park, up a hill, and turn right at the light. Then, walk past a cemetery, a church, and then we see the sign for the clinic! We had finally arrived at our destination. We walk in and yes, how refreshing that they spoke English. I reminded myself that this was why we traveled so far. I filled out paperwork and then we were escorted to the Doctor’s office. He is Thai, very soft spoken and kind. We sat at the chairs behind his desk with Lily asleep in her stroller. He asked us what we were bringing her in for and then looked over her in the same room. Her ears looked perfect! Yay! He gave us some more ointment for her diaper rash which is getting much better too. We paid our 4500 yen (about $70) for the check up and the ointment and were on our way. Yes, this was a very long way to come for just a diaper rash and to look at her ears, but very much worth it for peace of mind in a foreign country. It’s also nice to know the way now if we for some reason need to bring her back again.
On the way home after getting off the subway and before getting onto the train we used the restrooms. This was awkard…….. !!! So I get done using this toilet, which looked different from the others I have used in Japan so far, and I cannot seem to figure out how to flush it. I tried every single button at least two times and nothing happened. Feeling embarrassed, I slowly peeked out of the stall to see if anyone was waiting in line to use it. I wanted it to be clear so I could just leave the toilet as is and make a run for it. I could tell there were ladies out there so I took my cell phone out of my pocket and called Matt. In a whisper I said, “How do I flush?!” He laughed and said,” You are on your own with that one hun, they are all different!” We hung up and I peeked out the stall again. I didn’t see anything, or hear anything, so I slowly opened the door. There she was. It was a young gal, probably close to my age. I looked at her, and attempted to use my limited Japanese vocabulary. “Sumimasen?” (Excuse Me) I said. “I don’t know how to flush the toilet.” I said as I motioned with my hands. She looked at me, concentrating on what I was saying, and followed me into the bathroom stall. Once again, I said, “I don’t know how,” as I shrugged. She pushed a button that I swear I already tried and the toilet flushed. I smiled and laughed as I covered my face to look embarrassed. “Domo Arigato!” (thank you) I said with exasperation. I washed my hands and hustled out to Matt and Lily as I busted up laughing.
From there we got on the train. We got off at Yokosuka-Chuo this time. We had lunch at a cafe near the train station. I had some type of pasta dish with pesto sauce, avocado, and shrimp. I also tried a Brown Sugar Milk Coffee. Both were tasty. Then we looked around a bit and Matt headed off to work. I took the train by myself for the first time from Yokosuka-Chuo to Kitakurihama to walk home. I felt good at the end of our journey, thinking that I may finally be getting the hang of this. We ended the day watching Cinderella, reading books, playing tea party, and visiting with our friends Mikaela and Miley. I’m off to bed after a long day, but not as long as Matt’s day has been. There are still a few hours before he will be home. Goodnight all!
Artists
No comments:
Post a Comment