It has been 1 week from yesterday that we arrived in Yokosuka, Japan! It’s feels like much, much longer. I have taken in so much and seen so many new things. It is still surreal to me that we are across the world! I have much to share from just one week in this new place.
The first day in Japan, we layed pretty low. Matt woke up early in the morning to head to work. Lily and I had been up for hours playing and eating breakfast. Her clock was definitely messed up! We went to bed around 10pm the night before and she awoke at 1am ready to eat. Yes, this was totally natural if we would have been in Washington still, where 7am there is equivalent to 1am in Japan. I got her down to sleep again by 4am, just before Matt got up to get ready for work. I was able to sleep for about an hour, but my clock was messed up as well. So with the babe sleeping and Matt off to work I began to unpack and organize our new home. This was January 3rd in Japan, my birthday, but I think I was too groggy to think about it! So I spent the rest of the day feeling hungry at weird times, like ready for lunch at 9am and dinner at 3, and just feeling off. As soon as Lily would go down for the night, I followed. I now understand jet lag……
Our appartment building
Refridgerators- yes we have 2!
Lily's 1st Finger Painting
Microwave
Oven
Teeny tiny dishwasher
Say What????
Kitchen
Our bedroom
Lily's Room
Tired Baby......
view from our balcony off our bedroom
Living Room View
Bathroom
Hallway- Lots of storage!!
Living Room
The next day was January 4th. Lily awoke for breakfast around 3am this time, but I felt a little more rested. This day, Matt began swing shift so I let him sleep until he woke up around 7. By this time we were wide awake, the apartment was all organized and put together, so we took our first excursion out around Yokosuka. We loaded Lily up in the stroller with diaper bag, snacks and he showed me what would become a very familiar route to the train station. We live in a residential area which is very nice and quiet, but it definitely makes for an adventure to get anywhere. We made our way down this big stairway (which is quite interesting with a stroller) and down a steep hill, and winded through more housing.
The never ending staircase....
One thing I noticed is that everyone seems to line dry their clothes. Almost every balcony or door step you see is filled with clothes drying in the wind! We crossed the train tracks and made our way to the train station. It was a lot to take in! Thankfully, Matt had done it before. Scan your PASMO card, walk through the gate, look at the map of trains, and make sure you get on the right one. We got on when we were supposed to and off, which then began a walk to base. We did our errands there, had breakfast at the McDonalds on base, and looked around a bit in Yokosuka.
Lily didn't like Ronald so much!
I went into a store and wanted to buy something, just for the experience. I found some Japanese candies, some kind of fruity peach drink, some coasters for the apartment, and a little cupie doll key chain. The Cupie Doll made me smile as I thought of my mom and how she always says that Lily looks like one. I took out my change purse and counted out 525 yen. I probably should have studied the money first before using it, but I managed to figure it out. Feeling proud of my first Japanese purchase we were on the next thing .We walked by a Tully’s Coffee. I went in and ordered a “grande mocha.” I didn’t complicate things by trying to communicate my usual white mocha americano with a little nonfat on top. I figured the mocha would be easier to not mess up. I ordered, and was going to pay for my 490yen mocha. It took me a little while to count it out with the coins in my purse. I put a couple down on the counter and she would pick them up and put them on this tray. Then I put down a couple more coins and she once again put them on the tray. By about the third or fourth time, I realized that the money should be put in the tray, not on the counter. Ooops! Now I know! I finally figured out 490 yen and walked out with my mocha. It was delicious by the way! We also picked up some type of bakery bread. I didn’t realize it but there is a lot of French influence here in Yokosuka. From there we made it to the train station got on and back off, and walked back, up the hill and stairs to our new home. I‘m going to have thighs of steel when I get back the United States. At home, Matt headed off to work and we found a way to keep ourselves busy the rest of the day.
Can you see Lily??? Still not sure...
The rest of the week was busy! It seems like we did something new everyday! We went to a park with a several other Americans who live at the same apartment building we do. There, Lily interacted with a little Japanese girl who was about her age. It was really fun to see. Lily just looked at her until the little girl tried to touch her face, and then we got the bad case of “Stranger Danger.”
Lily's first Japanese friend
As the week progressed we continued to try to help Lily adjust to the time change. She consistently would wake up at 3am for breakfast. But, by Thursday, she slept from 7pm-5am, then on Friday from 7pm-6am. I think we have our clocks switched around now!
One day this week we took an outing with some of the ladies to what is called “LIVIN” in Yokosuka. This is the Japanese Super Walmart. There are 2 floors of things, the bottom floor being food and produce, and the top floor being clothing and toys, as well as some kind of arcade for kids. That outing was really fun because there were about 10 moms with strollers and kids as we all tried to get on and off the train. We were a line of American women and their stollers and kids walking along the streets of Yokosuka. Matt and Clark, my friend Mikaela’s husband have tagged along with some of the girls and the kids in the mornings because they are both on swing shift. It has been nice to have them along on these first adventures. It has been so nice to be here with some of the families that have lived here before. They have been nice enough to show us around and help us figure everything out.
Friday, we went to base to pick up the box of toys we had shipped here for Lily. I did not think we could make it one more day without them! We have played with every bowl, pot, measuring spoon, and piece of furniture that could somehow provide entertainment. I was thrilled to get up and go get that box! While we were out, we ate at what is called the“Coco Curry House.” Matt was so excited to take me here, because he had ate here at the beginning of December and loved it! We ordered the “Cheese Non,” which was basically like a white cheese on a fluffy pita kind of bread. It was really good, and Lily loved it. For our entry I ordered what he had loved, which was called “Chicken Cutlet Curry.” It was basically white rice, served with breaded chicken and this dark, rich curry sauce. I thought it was okay, but I didn’t think I would order it again. It actually didn’t settle very well with me though, and I came home and took 3 tums. By the end of the day I decided I didn’t really care for it but I was glad to try it. Usually I like curry, but this was pretty rich. Later, one of my friends told me that Coco Curry House is considered more of a fast food here, so I should try another place.
Matt's Beloved "Chicken Cutlet Curry"
Coco Curry House
On Saturday Matt had to work, but my friend Mikaela and I made our way to another part of Yokosuka for a Chili Feed with all of Matt’s co-workers in the same code, and their families. The couple’s house we went to was the same couple that had helped some of us get from base to our apartments on the night we arrived in Yokosuka. They have lived here for several years, and it was so nice to get together with them and all of the other families. I wish Matt could have made it, but I am glad we went anyways. I went to use the bathroom in the house and one thing that I was so amazed by was that they have heated toilet seats!!!!! Well that was a pleasant surprise!! Haha! There are so many new and different things here, it is really fun. It took me quite a while to figure out how to flush the toilet, but eventually I did figure it out!
This leads us to yesterday. We decided to go to base once again, this time to get more groceries at the commissary. We had dinner with friends and did a little shopping. Today, I’m still in my pajamas. Lily and I are having a quiet day. She’s watching Nemo as I catch up on laundry and my blog. Tomorrow we have a busy day as we venture to Yokohama to take Lily to the doctor there. She just finished the antibiotics from her ear infection and I want to make sure it is gone. She’s also been suffering from a pretty bad diaper rash as a result of the antibiotics, so I’m hoping to be able to get some more of the medicine prescribed by her pediatritian at home. Skype is so wonderful! I was able to talk to her pediatrician in Silverdale! I can't imagine doing this without the luxury of Skype! Well, that’s what’s new in our lives! I hope our trip tomorrow goes well. It’s amazing how far you will travel for an English speaking doctor over here! Wish us luck! ♥Annie
Blue Park
the train map I'm suppose to figure out
Yokosuka
My 2 favorite people on our new adventure!
Our friends, Clark, Mikaela, & Miley!
3 comments:
Annie, thanks for sharing your adventures in Japan. It sounds like everyone is adjusting well! I have skype now so we should set up a time to skype with the girls. Miss you lots!
Annie you describe things in such detail I feel like I can see that it is you are talking about, and the pictures help as well! How are you managing taking Lily and her stroller down those stairs??!!
Hope Lily's ear infection is all gone! Give her a hug from me! :) Love you!
Annie,
I am so glad you are sharing your experience in Japan. It is absolutely great and you take great pictures to add to your story of your expenerience which greatly enhances your experience there. Please continue and stay safe, explore and enjoy your time there. Thanks for sharing your time with us online.
Jolene Hillis
Post a Comment